Little black dress: move over. The little black leather dress is Fall 2011's newest look.
Leather dresses after 40 are an indisputable way to show your youthful side. A leather dress says some things about the wearer that a fabric dress just can't: a) She's got money (a good leather dress is not cheap b) She's sexy and c) She's a little rebellious.
While leather dresses after 40 are a fun change, there are a few fashion tips that can help you pull off leather dresses:
- You need the body to wear leather dresses. This is one trend where you just can't fudge it with visual tricks. You can, however, choose a style that compliments your figure. If you have a little wider waist, buy one of the shift leather dresses. Flabby arms? Buy a short-sleeve leather dress.
- Don't show too much skin. If your leather dress is strapless, make sure the hem is well below the knee. If it's an above-the-knee style, make sure it has a high neckline and/or sleeves. The key is to look sexy, not sleazy (which you will do if you show too much skin.)
- Don't wear a leather dress with lots more leather. A leather dress with knee-high leather boots is just way too much animal hide. Opt instead for strappy sandals or pumps (leather or suede is fine — in small amounts.)
- Go easy on the accessories. Tone down your hair, jewelry and makeup for a minimal look to let the dress take center stage.
- Colors work, too. Leather dresses don't need to just be black. We've seen great colored leather dresses in hues like mustard and orange.
More Fall 2011 fashion trends for grown-ups: