Record-high temperatures have sent the mercury soaring, and meteorologists are predicting one of the hottest summers on record, if not the hottest. With temperatures soaring into the triple digits, all this sizzling is a makeup melter to the max.
If you're required to look good perfectly presentable for a presentation, job interview, offspring's wedding, lunch date, or any other event, well, what's a girl to do? Since this heat and humidity could continue well into September, you might need a few makeup tips to ward off a meltdown, as in sliding down your face...
I've been doing a little in-the-field research to find some basic makeup products that really do stay put.
I tested all of these while on the Oceania Riviera cruise so they went through saltwater and fresh water swims, a sauna, and walking around in high heat all day in the grit of the city, and not only did they stay on, they continued to look fresh!
- Maybelline SuperStay Makeup - It must be the micro-flex formula (whatever that is) that makes this foundation stay put, but it does, and it's under $10 (by a penny, but still…)
- Tarte blush stick – Amazingly natural cheek stain, in 9 colors that melt into skin and stay there. $30, but it's a big chubby stick that will you last a long time. The hardest part is picking which color suits you best. (The Body Shop's new gel blush domes are great choices for this too!)
- CoverGirl 24-hour mascara – There's some weird timer in this stuff; it really didn't come off until 24 hours were up no matter what I did. Not on bottom lashes though, but I'm convinced nothing works on those and you don't really need it over 40 anyway. I used Very Black but I'm dying to try Blue Black. $7.99 Great for crying at weddings too, if you don't want striped cheeks.
- It Cosmetics Lip Flush – I just discovered It Cosmetics and I love them, starting with Vitality Lip Flush 4-in-1 Natural Anti-Aging Lipstick Stain. OK, long name, yes, but it foreshadows how long the lipstick lasts. People kept asking me how I kept my lipstick on. Also great as a base if you want to top with other short-stay colors.
- L'Oreal Infallible 24-hour eye shadow – This is a great find even if it's it not hot — it's relief not to have to worry about fading or creasing. But never fear, this stays on through sweat, swimming, and steam. I prefer the non-shimmer shades but they're hard to find. $7.95
So if you're going to have a meltdown in summer, at least it won't be your makeup – that you can control.
More practical beauty: