We all think that black is the absolute safest choice in our closet when we have good days, bad days or indifferent fashion days, right? Well not always.
Case in point: Sigourney Weaver age 62 and headliner of USA's new mini series Political Animals wears two black ensembles a mere 15 days apart from one another.
Both looks are definitely black, but oh my. See how not to make the same style errors and see what a difference…pants make.
July 10, 2012: Toss This
Heading into an appearance on the Today show, a photographer snapped this picture as Sigourney entered Studio 1A. To clarify, this was the dress she wore on camera.
- There are so many reasons to wear black, namely for it's fabulously slimming qualities, but sheerness in the bust area at 60-plus? I think not.
- I'm always surprised when celebrities don't stand before a mirror with bright lights or outside in a ray of sunshine and have someone do a see-through and sheerness check on all attire (I highly recommend it and do this often.) And why doesn't someone from their entourage TELL them?
- While her top has a peplum ruffle—a trend if there ever was one this fall—it basically stops right on her hip (aim for either slightly above or below).
- One needs to remember that black against pale white skin makes one even more translucent. For this reason, it's not a terribly fabulous color for TV unless counterbalanced with some colorful makeup.
- A note about Sigourney's hair: of course she had it smoothed down by professionals prior to airtime (that is, I THINK so: it was still rather fluffy during her segment), but her hair length isn't ideal. She has a natural wave, so a little longer would weigh down the wave and "tame" it a tad or I suggest a shorter and sleeker cut like a chic bob.
- I love leopard print, but her bag does not go with this ensemble.
- Black is a draining color and can instantly age us, and for that reason she needed colorful shoes, more dazzling jewelry and something other than a neutral-toned purse.
- My favorite style moments here (see, the report isn't all bad) are her silver-tipped shoes and her skirt length: nice gams Weaver!
June 25, 2012: Wear This!
Just 15 days prior, Sigourney Weaver pieces together black separates for the premiere of Political Animals that significantly improves her appearance.
- She incorporates a masculine-tuxedo-pants look with a ruffly and sheer top. I just love fashion dichotomies, especially when the work! She looks pulled together, stylish and in command.
- Why does this sheer blouse work as opposed to the previous sweater? Because it's lined with a black camisole, and one that really supports her bust beautifully.
- Even with the blouse tucked, she looks slimmer in this photo, her stomach flat. Why? In her July look, her black sweater clung ever so slightly, revealing a slight stomach roll. While here the cami, which appears to have corset properties, holds everything in.
- The three-quarter-length sleeve is just the right length. A full sleeve would've made her appear too covered up.
- It's obvious what a difference a professional hair blow out achieves, smoothing out the feral wisps that tend to have a mind of their own.
- Sigourney usually embraces very little makeup, which I applaud. But note how even a little bit of lipstick, here a light orange-red, really adds to her glow.
- Sigourney is tall at 6' and she has mastered selecting stylish flats so as not to tower over her fellow thespians in group settings. Smart. (This way in a group shot alongside her cast mates, she doesn't overtly stick out—though a younger actress who didn't get the memo to avoid prom attire did).
- If anything, for a premiere of a show in which she's the star, I would've added a sparkly bracelet with some statement earrings to match.
Other fashion faceoffs to learn from: