Got the winter beauty blues?
After the thud that hits after the holidays in January, it feels like the blah time of the year. As Cher said in "Moonstruck," "Snap outta it!"
This is a good time revamp your beauty routine and shed old routines that aren't really working anymore. If you're not seeing great results, there is a product or a fix that's out there to make your life prettier and easier.
Step one of beauty revamp includes cleaning off the bathroom counter of anything that looks like it's old or has changed formulas or that I'm not using…or really never used Yes, there is truly counter under there. Now that you have some space in your head and in front of you, it's time for some weekend beauty tips that you can try and see if they fit in with your goals. These come from Hollywood experts who must make stars look good.
Winter Beauty Tips: Hair Tips and Tricks and Simple Skincare
1. Keep a bottle of olive oil in your bathroom on the rim of the tub. It's winter in most places and your skin is ultra dry. Sometimes the best moisturizer in the world won't work. Go for the oil when you're experiencing lizard skin on your legs, arms and hands. Extra Credit Beauty: Use the oil on your cuticles before a home mani and pedi.
2. Why does your face breakout after a workout? It might be because you're working out with makeup on. Experts agree that you should wash your face before working out, so you won't mix sweat and makeup, which is a great combo to clog your pores. Extra Credit Beauty: No time to wash? Keep some wipes in your car and do a quick swipe job before that Pilates class.
3. Warm it up. If you're doing a hot oil treatment to your hair, warm up the product for several seconds in the microwave, but don't make it scorching hot. It absorbs better when it's hot. You can also heat up your face mask, but make sure it's not too hot before you put it on. Extra Credit Beauty: Keep your eye creams in the fridge for further de-puffing from the cold.
4. All the Hollywood experts agree on this one: If you have dark shadows, buy YSL Touche Eclat. It's the concealor that hides everything and a red carpet must these days. Extra Credit Beauty: On the run and can't do much. Just use this concealer, a little mascara and lip gloss. You're polished in under three minutes.
5. Don't forget the SPF in the winter even if you're not outside that much. Do you know that you get intense winter sun rays while driving? Make sure to keep some SPF in your car and put it on your face, hands and even a light coating on your lips, which are so prone to get burned since they're dryer than ever in the winter. Extra Credit Beauty: Even in winter you need to put the SPF on at least twice a day. It does wear off.
6. However, one more reason to really make sure you wash up at night is your don't want to sleep with old sunscreen on your face, which not only blocks your pores, but won't let your creams do their jobs. Even if you're coma tired make sure you wash up. Extra Credit Beauty: Wash your face after all plane rides. That air is horrible for your skin and the oily sheen on your skin needs to go.
7. Got a million old products you never use…or you never liked. I'm guilty of buying something and trying it once or twice and then dumping it if I don't see results. Why not donate your slightly used shampoos or even almost never used makeup to your local woman's shelter where women in need might need a great pick me up? Extra Credit Beauty: Bring your books and magazines, too.
8. Try giving up diet soda – cold turkey – for a week. You might not even feel so great for a day, but then your body will detox all those chemicals and you'll have an amazing energy boost. Plus, your skin will glow if you replace your soda habit with water. Extra Credit Beauty: Green tea is a great sub, too, and it's also great for your skin.
9. Exfoliate less if you're over 40, so you don't get rid of the good oils that prevent wrinkles. Try cutting this down to two or three times a week. But do always exfoliate before using your facial masks because you'll get more bang for your buck. Extra Credit Beauty: Make sure to clean out any facial scrubby machines weekly, too, as they can breed bacteria.
10. Got winter hair static. You need to find the right product to help on crazy hair days. The key during these months is a good leave-in conditioner that will not only tame static, but also help your hair bounce back after a hat. This is also a great way to avoid breakage that's so common with midlifer hair in the winter. Extra Credit Beauty: Look into the new hair oils out there for extra shine, but only us a bit on your ends. It's enough and will give your hair a silky sheen.